Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Fresh Herbs

I love having a fresh herb garden.  There is no simpler way to add a burst of fresh to a dish than with a handful of fresh cut herbs.  They are so simple to grow and so much less expensive than buying them at the store.  Whether as a garnish or a key ingredient, I use something from my herb garden in just about every meal.

When my herbs are getting a bit overgrown, I simply cut them and bundle them into a fresh bouquet for the kitchen.  They look nice and add a wonderful aroma. 

As I was debating what I would have for lunch today, I really had a craving for pasta.  As a kid I used to love bowls of plain cooked pasta.  It was my lunch on many summer days.  Sometimes I would add cheese, but just plain pasta made me a happy kid.  My grandmother used to add a can of diced tomatoes when she made it for me.  Macaroni and tomatoes-so simple but I could eat it by the bowlfuls.  That really takes me back to my childhood and summer vacation. 

I don’t know if I was craving more nostalgia or pasta today, but I had to have a bowl.  After looking thru the fridge and finding some chicken sausage and snipping some fresh herbs, I recreated a childhood favorite for a more refined palette.  To me, food evokes emotion and memories.  This dish certainly took me back today.  Maybe I should take these trips more often. 

Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Fresh Herbs

1 Cup Dried Pasta (elbow or any tubular pasta)
Salt
3 Links Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Minced Onion
1 ½ Cups Fresh Diced Tomatoes
½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
½ Tbsp. Fresh Oregano
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil


Cook pasta al dente per package directions.  While pasta cooks heat a large sauté pan to medium heat.  Add oil, sausage, garlic and onion.  Cook until onions are translucent and sausage is warm.  Add diced tomatoes.  Drain pasta and add to chicken.  Add cheese, oregano and basil.  Stir until incorporated and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment